Confessions Of A Coffee Boy

One man. One cafe. Soho, NYC. Bring it, bitches!

Saturday, January 14, 2006

NO FREE WATER!

There are two French men who have come in for the past three days and order the same thing everytime. Two salads and ONE glass of Merlot. THis confuses me. I hate them. Again, accents usually make me like someone but these men seem pretentious and I hate the way the pronounce "Merlot" like "Meerloh." A woman who has a child strapped to the front of her in one of those baby carrying devices orders coffee and then returns a half hour later telling me it is cold. Obviously it's cold you foolish douche. I make her another and pour enough milk in it to drain a cow. I give her the "don't fuck with me" look when I hand it back to her and she leaves. She does not return. I notice today that my manager only has about three or four outfits. He always wears the same shoes and pants (the pants don't look bad, I would wear them repeatedly too) but he only had a few shirts. One long sleeved, grey flannel shirt and two or three different t-shirts. He wears the long sleaved ones on cold days like today. I need to take him shopping if he will let me. I semi-make friends with another guy who works there. He has a mustache and a goatee. He works on coffee and I work the register. We have a kind of quiet friendship. We work together without words. It's weird yet calming. A punky guy comes in and trys to tip me. I tell him not to and why, he is almost outraged but goes and calmly sits with his mother/grandmother. I start "cheating" on the espresso machine. I am supposed to let it finish by itself but when we are busy I stop it manually but there should be about 5 more seconds of espresso pouring out of the machine. My manager and the Spaniard are sitting on the far end of the cafe and they are asking all the men (there are no females working today) what their penis size is. When they finally get to me, I respond honestly. I have nothing to hide. A group of four teenage emo kids come and spend two hours horsing around in front of me. I grow tired of them fast but they don't necessarily bother me. Althought they are all wearing the same colors but in different combintations. The boys' baggy khakis are all almost the same color while they all have dark gray, maroon, and black t-shirts, hoodies and hats. I wonder if they plan this or if they are the only colors they own. Many people came in today and ordered a glass of water, which we give away for free. I think that we should charge $50 for water if that's all you are getting. If you buy something else however, even just a cookie, it's free.This begs the question, how many people would pay $50 dollars for water? I wouldn't. Besides, who says water should be free in a semi-high end cafe? NO FREE WATER! You want free water? Go find a drinking fountain in a Duane Reade or something. Perhaps if you were dehydrated or something like that I would feel bad and give you some free water, but that's not guaranteed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home