Confessions Of A Coffee Boy

One man. One cafe. Soho, NYC. Bring it, bitches!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Trapped In A Freezer

Today was a slow day/night. My friend M came to visit me today. She is from my hometown. She brought a few friends with her. I gave them about $10-$15 dollars worth of coffee and drinks for around $2.50. The blister on my finger starts to have a green whiteness to it and sort of resembles a sideways pimple. I think I may have gangrene and vaguely detect the smell of almonds. I got trapped in the freezer today. I was in there getting milk and suddenly the door closed behind me. The inside does not have handles. My eyes open wide and I am terrified. I start pushing at the edge of the door with all my might. It doesn't budge. I think about what it would be like to die in a freezer. How long it would take, what it would feel like. Would it hurt? Would I actually be frozen in one position? When will someone find my body? I am stuck inside for 10-15 minutes. You know how I escape? I switch to the other side of the door. I push it once and it opens. Apparently, the door does not latch and I was pushing the wrong side of it. The Russian was absent today. I hope for no return of her. My day is almost stress free because of her. Almost. The CD playing over head skips like crazy today and someone keeps having to run to one of the offices downstairs to change it. I have no idea where the office is because our basement is like a huge fucking maze. I know where I punch in and where I get the milk. That's about it. Tons of blondes pour through the door today. Each alone but every single on the same. Hair just a little bit too blonde but they all have perfect skin and make-up. I hate them and love them at the same time. Oddly enough they all basically order the same thing. Which is a Honey Vanilla Latte thought they change it up. Some order it with skim milk, other soy and the ones who will always be naturally skinny order it regular. A man named Juan Llamas gives me his business card today. Says he works at a marketing firm that is based out of L.A. Says to give him a call. I still have his card and every time I read his name, I think of actual llamas. But his last name is not pronounced "llamas," it's pronounced "yamas." Which in my bad Spanish translation mean "you talk/you call"...? Anyway, I like it. Llamas are my favorite animals. The Latino "thug" who works next to me at the salad bar only speaks to me in Spanish now. I know he knows English because he talks to customers and other employees in English. I wonder what his motives are and if I will have to bludgeon him to death sometime soon. Another friend J comes in tonight. I make her a smoothie that costs over $5 and give it to her cheap. We talk for about 10-15 minutes before my manager shows up and I go outside with her. She says her smoothie is good. We chat a little and then I have to go back inside. The owner of my cafe is called "the Mayor." He comes up to me behind the coffee bar when it is slow and tries to strike up conversation. It's hard to tell through his accent if he is Hispanic or Italian. It keeps changing. He asks me if I go to school and I tell him that I start at the end of the month. (Hopefully.) He says that when I do we can sit down and figure when I go to class so that I can still work there. He would like for me to "keep the working," and then he abruptly walks away. I wonder if I have just been accepted to the cafe family and he likes me or if I just make coffee fast and he doesn't want to have to find someone else anytime soon. I think I have to start lotioning my cuticles because thy are getting pretty beat up at this place. They are red and peel-y. They hurt. I also have this knot ball of pain on the lower left side of back. It will not go away and has been there since yesterday. Maybe it's a tumor. I fell like I am alienating myself from my co-workers semi on purpose. I don't talk to them. But on the other hand they don't really talk to me. I am trying to understand their Spanish. I catch a few words like "pollo" and "ensalada" but nothing much more of relevance. The CD that has been playing all day has finally stopped skipping and it is now playing a song that repeats "You're so damned beautiful" over and over. (These cafe songs tend to do that.) I think the woman is singing to me because yes, I am that self-involved. It becomes my theme until after we close and I put on my headphones to blare Kelly Clarkson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home